Friday, August 31, 2012

BALLET BOOT CAMP: Stretch

I came upon this DVD by accident. Jessica Sherwood seems to be the founder of Ballet Boot Camp, and She has a cute website where you are able to purchase any one of the three Ballet Boot Camp workout DVDs. I was interested in this one particularly because the reviews were positive and this DVD appeared to be the general favorite of the series. I'm always interested in a good stretch, especially one meant to increase flexibility beyond touching your toes (although getting to your toes is an important first step to functional flexibility. But where does one go once it is accomplished?). I was also interested since it is reviewed as having a workout interspersed into the stretch routine. 
Classical Ballet music is played in the background as the instructor talks you through. The participants don't look very outwardly happy, maybe they are thinking? I know I get that face when I'm thinking about a routine or applying a correction in class. The cinematography isn't the best either, but I've seen worse and I'm satisfied with my purchase. I'm truly impressed with the routines themselves and how I feel after each one. The titles are pretty accurate in describing what you are going to be doing. If you aren't familiar with the dance term isolation, just know that you will be learning how to isolate (use a single part of your body) and using that to burn fat and strengthen in places that aren't usually hit with the usual exercises.

The instructor's voice is a little gravelly during this DVD, like she maybe lost her voice the day before, but I don't mind that if the workout is a good one. You can tell she knows what she is talking about, she demonstrates beautiful technique and positions. Because it is dance inspired the movements are fluid and lead into each other. You will get a luscious stretch and toning workout if you try this workout. 

Now let me set something out clearly, this DVD is dance inspired, that doesn't mean it is dance per se. However the exercises will help prepare you for dance or give you some awesome exercises to do outside of your dance class in order to improve your performance. Some people expect it to be a ballet class, it is not. However, it will help you become stronger in your ballet class if you are in one, or it will make for a great routine otherwise! Jessica uses exercises that I'm familiar with, as well as some new ones that I have already fallen in love with!

Below is a list of the DVD sections including in this workout (You can complete one section or your can do them all! You should know by now I'm a sucker for this format ;) ): 
  • Isolations (5 min.)
  • Standing Stretch (9 min.)
  • Seated Stretch (6 min.)
  • Abdominal Exercises (5 min.)
  • Cat Stretch (1 min.)
  • Abdominal Exercises (4 min.)
  • Reclining Stretch "A" (6 min.)
  • Reclining Stretch "B" (7 min.)
  • Splits Preparation (7 min.)


The titles are pretty self explanatory, and the exercises would be easily picked up with practice by someone with no dance experience. The format of the DVD is much like a 50 min. class, she talks as if in an actual class with her students. To me, I find this to be a comfortable environment. I don't feel like I'm working out, I feel like I've just gone to class and it's a conditioning day! Personally love it, and I  am so happy with the results! 

Happy Training! à bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment