Saturday, July 21, 2012

HOW TO START RUNNING: Running for Beginners

Growing up I have always loathed the "fun-run" in school. I honestly could not run a mile in less than 12 minutes. Eventually, I think my teacher just gave up on me and told me to come inside whenever I ended up finishing.

I avoided running up until a couple years ago when, just to experiment, I went on a run. Because I had been doing a rigorous dance routine that summer the run actually wasn't too bad! I discovered that many of the activities in my dance schedule were key elements in helping me build my endurance. For me, this experience was a big first step in helping me run more consistently.

Now I know some of you may be thinking "well I don't dance, and I don't like to run...so how does this help me?" I think the biggest thing I hope to get across is that as long as you start somewhere that is comfortable for you, and stay consistent, it will get easier to do more physically rigorous activity. For me, I couldn't start with running, I had to start with dance. That eventually that got me to a level where I could run without hating it.

It is definitely hard to get started, especially if you aren't used to cardio activities. This is why I love this mini training workout. I love how it breaks down the different things to focus on while you are running (posture, breathing, motivation, etc) and helps you create a habit or a pattern that you can apply as you increase your running time or distance.

If you want to test the waters first, try substituting running for a brisk walk using the postures and techniques demonstrated in the article until you feel ready.

Here is the link to the workout, follow the instructions on each of the "slides":

Happy Training! à bientôt!

*Image pulled from Link for the workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment